RiSE - Roche internship for Scientific Exchange - Statistical Modelling applied to Systems Neuroscience (from September, 9 months), Basel Switzerland
The RiSE program (Roche Internships for Scientific Exchange) is a highly competitive student research program at Roche. It offers the most talented postgraduate PhD and medical degree students the opportunity to be fully integrated into our interdisciplinary and international industry R&D environment. As a RiSE student you will enhance your competencies, gain valuable work experience with us, and eventually become part of a world-wide network of RiSE Alumni.
The Neuroscience and Rare Diseases Discovery and Translational Area (NRD DTA) is developing medicines for a range of serious neurological diseases, including multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, autism, spinal muscular atrophy, and Huntington’s disease.
As a RiSE student in the NRD DTA, located at the Roche Innovation Center Basel, Switzerland, you will join our Systems Neuroscience Section. You will work closely alongside Data Science and Bioinformatics colleagues to implement statistical approaches to interrogate and model multivariate and longitudinal biological data sets. Specifically, we wish to assess the potential for Bayesian statistics to enable inference on disease trajectories in animal models used to support our NRD research efforts. You will be hosted and mentored by a Roche scientist who will guide you through your research and provide you with the needed work infrastructure and collaborative network.
During the internship, your tasks will include:
- Working with a team of biologists, data scientists and biostatisticians to interrogate existing multivariate, longitudinal data sets obtained from in vivo studies.
- Implementation of Bayesian hierarchical models to allow inference on disease trajectories from different animal models used to study major brain disorders.
- Develop a user-friendly, web-based visualization of modeling results to enable effective feedback and decision making by lab scientists
- Regular discussion with your mentor and network to advance the project
- Summarizing your findings for presentation to peers and the broader research community, potentially in a publication.
Who You Are
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. Where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
Moreover you are/have
- Enrolled in a PhD or medical degree program at a university, with a focus on advanced statistics, computation or physics, and are looking to expand your experience with an industry internship (must still be enrolled at university for 50% of the duration of the stay at Roche).
- Demonstrated experience of Bayesian hierarchical modelling, preferably with Python based on the PyMC3 package, or equivalent.
- Highly collaborative mindset; comfortable working in a team setting and in a multifunctional and multicultural environment.
- An effective communicator with those outside of his/her own discipline.
- A self-motivated and curious problem solver, with demonstrated planning abilities.
The preferred start date of the internship is September 2020 or upon availability.
Applications need to include
- a CV and a cover letter
- as well as a letter from your academic supervisor supporting your application to the RiSE Program
Providing a Github repository link or examples of previous work in the application (both code and website/dynamic data visualization) would be a strong advantage
Please note that due to regulations non-EU/EFTA citizens have to provide a certificate from the university stating that an industry internship is mandatory as part of the university training.
Do you know what Roche stands for? Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
If you still have questions, then please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq
Roche ist ein Arbeitgeber, bei dem Chancengleichheit zählt.View More